Tuesday, July 16, 2013

An interview with Daneille Vlahos--A balanced approach


Hey everyone!  Sean here, with a special feature on a truly inspiring runner!  Danielle Vlahos is a local runner who has countless years of running experience, has competed in ultramarathons, and has made fitness the cornerstone of her lifestyle.  She launched Solid Body Fitness with her business partner, and works tirelessly to improve the fitness level and overall quality of life of her clients.  She sat down with me to impart some of the nuggets of wisdom that have helped her get through miles of running and hours of training.  Take a look!

How did you get your start in distance running?

I’ve always done 5 or 10ks.  When my first son was born, he had a large vascular tumor.  We then linked up with the Vascular Birthmark Foundation.  He was in surgery for the first four years of his life.  We’re so thankful for the care he received through the foundation, and we wanted to give back.  I knew I could run, and his aftercare was mainly with Mass General, so I joined their fundraising team.  Anything I raised over $5000 went back to the foundation.  I ran Boston and raised $10,000, doubling my goal.  I valued that so deeply I decided to change careers and went into fitness, while continuing to do races for various worthy causes.

What goes through your mind during a race?

My mind goes in so many different directions.  Sometimes I think about problems and solutions, and sometimes I don’t think about anything at all.  Trail racing is a great opportunity to connect with interesting people as well.  I never think about the end, I just think about what’s around me.  Sometimes I even get bummed when it ends!

How do you prepare for races?

I used to overtrain a lot.  But more recently, wanting to avoid injury and being a mom, I’ve reduced that, doing tempo runs during the week and long runs on the weekend.  I listen to my body more, taking rest days when I need them.  Strength training has helped me a lot as well.  If I’m not feeling well, I don’t overly push myself.

What to you is the most important fitness goal someone can shoot for?

Everyone strives for weight loss, but I feel that if you develop strength on the inside, it will reflect on the outside.  Just being able to get through your daily life, without injury or illness should be everyone’s goal.  You feel better as a worker, parent, person.  Training for life is the most important thing.  Focus less on precise numbers and you’ll reach your goals in a healthier way.

What is some “wisdom” you could impart to runners of all ages and skill levels?

Nutrition and fueling takes practice, but in order to perform, you have to be fueled right.  Rest, too, is something that can fall by the wayside when people get really into their training.  It can lead to injury and a lack of productivity.  Rest days are just as important, if not more, as training day.  I’ve learned that the hard way myself, and I’ve had to stop and think to myself, “this isn’t working.”  I’ve never had faster mile times and more weight lifted than I do now, and that’s because of a balance of resting, fueling, and listening to my body.



Thanks so much Danielle for sharing your insights with us!  You’ve brought up a lot of great points that runners and all athletes everywhere tend to overlook when we’re fixated on a goal.  Thanks for reminding us to keep everything in perspective!  Everyone else, just run with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment