Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A favorite little something

A favorite little something


I posted this graphic on the Charles River Running Facebook page this week.  Somedays it's harder than others to find the "thing" that makes you smile or reflect.  If I go a few days without a run, it becomes extremely difficult to see, much less find these moments or these favorite little things.  They happen all around me, sometimes so quickly, even simultaneously --how could I miss them?  But I do, and again, I miss them on the days when my antennae is down. It's down alright.  Down and I'm left to think of nothing better of how slow business is, how crappy the weather is, how few eggs my chickens are laying.  The pile grows and grows and the special, wonderful, favorite things that are happening all around me go unnoticed by the person who needs to see them the most--me.  How do I dig out?  I run. Running gets me out from under the pile and allows for the antennae to unfurl and pick up the grace of an ordinary day.

This morning while running down a quiet street inDedham I saw a dad and his daughter out waiting for the school bus.  His back was to me and he was standing in front of his 13 or so year old daughter.  I could tell they were sharing some quiet words and they didn't see me coming.  Then I notice the dad look quickly to the left and right and then plant a big, loud, loving kiss on his daughter's forehead.  I mean this was a loud kiss.  The morning air was so still and the smacking sound of the kiss had no where to go but echo off the trees and houses around us.  I immediately felt like a voyeur, seeing something that was clearly not meant for me.  The girl looked too old for the "off to school" smooch but the dad was having nothing of that.  She was letting him have this kiss and he was so happy to give it to her.  But who cares, they thought no one was looking.  My approaching footfalls eventually got their attention.  The dad turned around and greeted me with a loud and happy "good morning"  which I returned and looked back down at the ground.  I was embarrassed to have been a spectator at their moment.  But I also felt joy and grace and a bit of sappy sentimentality, as all my kids are way past the "off to school" kiss.  Shoot, I'm not even allowed within 100 yards of the bus stop.  So, while it was a bit awkward for all parties involved, I had found my "favorite little something" that day.  No coincidence that I found it on a run.  My antennae was out, out, out there picking up a whole world of fantastic stuff.

Here's a video a friend posted on social media this morning.  I'll fully admit to being a sucker for these YouTube tidbits but I'm so glad I watched it.  It has a lot to do with this blog entry. I, for one, am glad that I happened upon that dad and his daughter this morning.  Unknowingly, they gave me a little present and it was my favorite little something today.



No comments:

Post a Comment