Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Road testing a new hydration system from Salomon



           
Hi there!  Sean again.  In this post, I want to talk about a product from the store I had the opportunity to test.  When I run, I hate having things with me.  Whether it’s backpacks, belts, you name it:  I usually find it too uncomfortable to run with.  This doesn’t exactly work in my favor, however, when I’m on a long run in hot weather and need to stay hydrated.  Not only does lugging around a Poland Spring or Nalgene bottle look weird, feeling the water sloshing around totally throws me off.
            Therefore, you can imagine I was a little skeptical when I was given Sense Hydro Set by Salomon.  Undaunted, I set out on a 6-mile run on a day that reached into the upper 80s.  It was just what I needed.  The “hydration system” is basically a glove with no fingers and with a strap that a shapeless, airtight water bottle fits.  When full, it holds 250 mL (about 8 and a half fluid ounces for those readers south of the Canadian border…) of water or whatever else you like to hydrate with on a run.  The soft flask is only as big as however much you decide to fill it, and fits the form of your hand, whichever way you naturally position it while you run.  While some of you may be thinking, “Oh great, I get to wear gloves when it’s 90 degrees outside,” it’s important to note that the palm of the glove is made of a very thin non-chafing mesh, and the back of the glove is a soft and breathable cloth fabric.  I pretty much forgot I was wearing it until mile 4 when I realized I was going to need some water to get me through the end of the run.  The cap responds only to pressure, so no worries about unscrewing anything or pulling anything up.  250 mL is also an ideal amount of water for the average runner, because I know if I had had a giant water bottle with me, no matter the amount of self-control I think I have, I would be downing the whole thing to the point of discomfort once I got thirsty.  Since the set comes with two gloves, 150 mL bottles and additional 250 mL bottles are available in stores as well, if you want to double up.
            No product is perfect:  this one currently only comes in one color scheme, and the white back of the glove is not conducive to those who get a little muckier when they run, though it is machine washable.  Aside from this though, Salomon’s Sense Hydro Set is a slam dunk.  It’s the perfect hydration solution for any runner looking for a way to stay at their best.  Follow the link below to watch the system in action.  No, despite what you’re thinking, that is not your faithful blogger in the video (I don’t think I’ve ever driven on my own as far as he races), but it’s a great illustration of just how important it is to remain hydrated at all levels of competition and recreation.  That’s it for now, just run with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment