Thursday, June 13, 2013

The inside scoop from a running shoe tester

John Sullivan racing in the 2012 Norwood  Firecracker 5K
Hi there!  My name’s Sean, I’m a local runner from West Roxbury home from college, and I’ll be blogging for Charles River Running this summer!  I’m really excited to bring you different product reviews, local runs, and a smorgasbord of other subjects relevant to the running community.  In the spirit of “go with what you know” this first post is a look at the process of choosing the right shoe, brought to you by lifelong runner, avid shoe tester, and my dad, John Sullivan.  John started running over 40 years ago and in that time has competed in collegiate cross country and track and field, raced in everything from local 5ks to marathons (17 of them), and even coached his son’s 4th-grade basketball team to a winning season.  He agreed to share some of decision-making he puts into his running shoe purchases.  Read on for some of his insights:


What’s it like to be a shoe tester/reviewer?

Being a shoe reviewer is a bit of an affirmation that you’re a committed runner, but one who can also communicate impressions of the experience to other runners.


What do you look for in a shoe? 

I look for a good fit, especially in the forefoot.  I have a wide foot, and I need to make sure my shoes fit properly in all areas.  I also look for a very solid heel.  I squeeze the sides of the heel with my hand (someone taught me that when I first started running 40 years ago, and I’ve done it ever since) to make sure it has the appropriate amount of support.  I don’t make my decision based on the aesthetics of the shoe; that’s not what’s important to a runner.  It has always been impressed upon me that even though running requires very little equipment, you want to make sure you have a fundamentally sound pair of shoes.


What is the difference between any old shoe and a great shoe?


When you put on a pair of shoes and start jogging in them, most shoes tend to have around the same performance.  If 3 miles into the run, you completely forget about “breaking in” a new shoe and are able to just get lost in your run, that’s a great shoe.  A great shoe is a responsive shoe from the first step right to the end of a long run. Invariably, the best shoe is the one that you choose to take you through your longest and most difficult runs.

What advice do you have for a person shopping for their new shoes?

Go to Charles River Running! [Laughs] In all seriousness, getting a good fit is critical, and you can guarantee this by being properly fitted by someone knowledgeable and appropriately trained.  You’re going to be spending a lot of time in those shoes, and so fit is more important than shopping for price or appearance.  Like a car, talk to anyone who has owned a pair and see what their experience was.  Runners are only too happy to talk about their experiences with other runners.  Sometimes it’s even a good way to ease the nerves before a big race or meet.



Well, there you have it folks.  I know from my experience I can agree with Dad-I mean,  sometimes the best shoe you’re looking for isn’t the best looking shoe.  And it really is important to have someone help you choose your shoe if you’re unsure how to make your choice.  With so many vastly different types of shoes (and some footwear that probably can’t even be classified as “shoes”) on the market, it’s immeasurably helpful to have someone take a look at how you run and match you with the shoe that will help you run and feel your best. 

That’s it for now, just run with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment