Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Take it to the trails

This month's Competitor Magazine has a fantastic piece on trail running.  In their article, "Hit the Trails"  the authors provide training tips, gear reviews and even list some trail races.  There's no need to reinvent the "trail running wheel" in this blog post, but what I can provide to you is a handy list of local trails that you may not know about.  I don't know about you, but I head for the trails for tranquility, to give my legs and feet a break from the roads, and to let myself slow down and be mindful of each step I take.  I find myself listening to birds, cursing less (no cars blowing through stop signs as I try to cross the street), and I get to meet lots of friendly dogs out for walks with their owners.  For me, trail running isn't about speed, it's about quality time with my surroundings.  Even in our congested living space of metro Boston, you can easily get to a quiet trail head in no time.  These are spots that make my top 5 list:

1.  Hale Reservation.  This park located at 80 Carby St, in  Westwood, MA  and offers 1,130 acres of woodlands, including four ponds and over twenty miles of trails in Westwood and Dover.  You can run to your hearts content on these miles of technical and scenic trails.  Hale is open to and free to the public.  Their summer hours are 7:30 am to dusk every day.  Interested in racing off road?  Hale hosts their own summer event series.  Note:  trails are mostly single track (trail-speak meaning that the trail isn't wide enough to run side by side with another person or pet) and pretty technical.

2.  Walpole Town Forest.  Located off Washington and South streets, comprising approximately 365 acres, the Walpole Town Forest is a great trail to get you introduced to off road running.  The 2 mile loop is wide, smooth and well maintained--this is the perfect trail for one loop or two.

3.  Lowell Woods.  Here's a little gem of a trail (3 miles) that is literally right in my back yard.  I leave from my house, run a mile to the Lowell Woods trail head located at the back on Hanlon Elementary School in Westwood, run my 3 miles on the trails and head back home. I'm able to log 5.5 miles with three of them on trails and I never have to get in my car!  This mostly single track lollipop loop is fairly technical and offers some short, steep climbs.

4.  Adams Farm.  I happen to love all 365 acres of Adams Farm.  If you have lots of time or just a little, this is the place for you.  Short well maintained trails are waiting at the parking area.  As you get in to the property there are many opportunities to break off from the main trail on to interesting and well marked single track.  This facility is free and open to the public all year round.  The nicest feature:  you can link up to the power line and run miles and miles in either direction.  Cross over the power line and and you get to explore the other side of Adams Farm.  Hungry after your adventure?  Stop in to Bubbling Brook for a cone, just a 1/4 mile away!

Noanet Woodlands.  This park has 17 miles of smooth trails and can be accessed at Caryl Park in Dover.  If you make it all the way to Noanet Peak, you will be treated to a lovely view of the Boston skyline.  If you are a beginning trail runner, this is another good choice, as the trails are smooth as well marked.

In closing, let's remember these safety tips when trail running:  1.  Before you head out, be sure tell someone where you are going and when you plan on coming back.  2.  Slow down and pick up your feet on the trails until your body gets used to the uneven terrain.  3.  Make sure to do a thorough tick check once you get home and out of your running clothes.  4.  Unless you know the area extremely well, it's best to stay on the marked trails.

Have fun, break up your "road only" routine, and get out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment